Monday, September 29, 2008

Value Essay

My Crazy Life Takes A Break
What is value? Is it the price tag that is put on something? All of the moments and memories that we share with our loved ones? Is it historical value or financial value or sentimental value or even moral value? These questions are often proposed when someone is talking about the true value of something, and the only real answer to all of these is that value can be expressed in many different and unique ways, depending on the subject. In short, value itself can sometimes be valueless, think about that.
I waltz over to my jewelry box, with its white paint, various drawers, and a necklace rack, and open the drawer that contains all of my earrings. Here, there is a variety of colors, shapes, and sizes; blues and pinks, studded and those dripping in gems, large silver hoops and chandelier patterns, too. I carefully rifle through the tiny drawer, trying to find the perfect pair to go with my outfit, and then there they are, silver ovals dripping in single and double green gems; they match perfectly.
Whenever I go out to somewhere important, such as school or shopping or a friends house, I always take care in making sure that I do not forget to put on an appropriate pair of earrings. To me, wearing earrings or any other type of jewelry is a must, because I feel that they can give almost any look a polished finish, and that is the basis of my style sense. They always seem to fill up any space left that my hair doesn't in framing my face, and can add either a girly charm or a fiery edge to my look for that day.
My eyes open sleepily, and as I peer over at my clock radio, which reads 9:57am, I immediately know what kind of day today will be, and I can't help but sigh happily to myself as I finally get out of bed. Today is one of those days that doesn't really have a name that would fit it appropriately, but they happen every so often in the late fall and winter months, and they are about as close as I can get to a perfect day, with the temperature a little bit snappy, the skies overcast and a brisk wind blowing. It's on a day like that with nothing to do that I can get away with wearing my most comfortable pair of sweatpants and a sweatshirt without worrying about where I have to go or when I have to do something.
I walk carelessly downstairs, and fix myself a breakfast of something sweet that I wouldn't normally have; a muffin or a cinnamon bun usually does the trick. Then, I head to my living room, where I flip channels on the TV until I happen to come across my favorite movie, so I settle in on the couch to watch and relax. Later, I will have to go to my brother's soccer game a few towns away, and afterwards we'll get to go to my favorite country store in the whole world and get hot chocolate. When we get back I will probably have a friend over, and we'll talk about everything under the sun, from gossip to boys to whatever inside jokes we might share, and maybe go sledding if there is enough snow on the ground.
For my life, value consists of both things that have a price tag with a dollar amount and those that happen over time that may have dollar amount items within them. For example, my collection of earrings and other jewelry has some type of overall financial worth, and someone had to pay a sum of money in order for me to have them. But my "perfect day" is really more of an experience that consists of things that have financial value, such as the cinnamon bun, the TV and cable, the hot chocolate from the country store, and the sleds that I might use.
Both my jewelry and my perfect day are important and valuable to me, but for very different reasons. My jewelry collection helps me to take the way that I already feel and look for that day and enhance it just a little to boost my day. On one of my perfect days, however, I am able to go for a whole day without worrying how I look, and can concentrate on doing absolutely nothing important, which are the types of days that I think we all need every once in a while. I believe that by valuing these two very different items equally, I am able to access both sides of who I am; one shows the prim and proper, dress-to-impress stylish side of me, and the other lets a more calm and go-with-the-flow me show through.

3 comments:

Hannah P said...

The author is asking what value is and is it even valuable. She's saying is value could actually be worthless. The author is describing her priced earrings and her priceless perfect snow day.

I thought the author described both her moment and her object very well. But I thought the description of her earrings was better. I liked how she described the colors and types of different kinds of earrings. I thought the following sentence was really good "silver ovals dripping in single and double green gems; they match perfectly." I liked this sentene because it was very descriptive.

I thought one of the strengths was the voice in the essay. I could tell the author had a lot of voice in her essay because it seemed like she was talking to the reader as if in person. I also liked how it was very descriptive and organized.

The only thing I would do to the essay would to go back and look for grammar and spelling mistakes. But I thought that everything else was great!!!

Nicole x C said...

I really liked how in katie's opening paragraph, she asks questions then explain what she thinks value means.

My favorite description would have to be her perfect day, because me perfect day is somewhat close to that. I really liked the way she described getting up in the morning and her really descriptive adjectives.

Katies strength was definitly her word diction. She chose words like "snappy", "waltz", "fiery edge", and "rifle". All of these really kept my intrest and attention.

It was really hard to choose a weakness because katie did an exellent job on this essay, but maybe she could just double check some of spelling mistakes.

betty said...

Katie questions the meaning of value, and how does one put a price on something. She effectively asks a series a questions, and poses a very good point.

I thought that Katies description of her perfect day was done exceptionally well. I could relate to her feelings of the perfect, cozy morning, followed by a day where everything goes right, and i enjoy every moment of it. I liked Katies description of her morning the best. I could almost smell the cinnamon buns, and picture wearing the cozy sweatpants. I liked the line, "I walk carelessly downstairs, and fix myself a breakfast of something sweet that I wouldn't normally have; a muffin or a cinnamon bun usually does the trick."
A strong point of Katie's essay is her word choice. Her sophisticated languages adds to the body of the essay, making it very interesting and descriptive. She also uses very good organization.
A suggestion for Katie would be to check her spelling and grammar, and also to describe more of each individual aspect of your perfect day. This could include what the games and store look like, and how you feel throughout the day. Overall i enjoyed this essay, and it was nearly perfect!